Thursday, January 28, 2010

Brazilian Chicken

Ok, this is one of those recipes that by adjusting the spices you can really change things up a bit, especially the 'hotness' level. We serve this over rice or with naan or...whatever you want.

Brazilian Chicken
1 teas cumin
1 teas cayenne pepper (may I suggest you put in 1/4 to start and when it's ALL done then taste it and see if you want more)
1 teas turmeric
1 teas coriander
4 chicken breasts (this is negotiable - I only used 2, but I think about 3 is perfect and 4 is the max if you're feeding a lot or want a lot of leftovers)
2 tab oil
1 chopped onion, medium (preferably white, but yellow is ok - NO red)
1 tab fresh ginger grated, OR about 1 heaping teas ground ginger
2 jalapeno peppers (I left these out completely)
2 cloves garlic or the equivalent in powder/minced/etc.
3 tomatoes, chopped, or 1 can diced tomatoes, not drained
1 can coconut milk (low-fat is fine, but after having used it I'd bet the full fat would taste much better)
salt and pepper to taste (may I suggest about 2 teaspoons to start for salt and then taste it and add as you like it)

I precooked my chicken and had it in shreds or cubes, or whatever. Even leftover turkey would be fine. Heat the oil and add the chopped onion and all of the spices - everything through the garlic. Cook a bit until the onions are tender but not limp (ugh). Add the chicken and tomatoes. Heat for a couple minutes. Add the coconut milk and salt and pepper and then simmer stirring occasionally for about 5 - 10 minutes. I covered my pan (I used a wok) while it simmered.
Serve over rice.

2 comments:

  1. Great recipe! Left out the jalapenos, but think I'd add them next time. I think they'd add flavor but not necessarily too much heat. Lightened up on the cayenne like suggested . . . I'd do that again. Served it with some avocado; it was a good accompaniment - smooth and cooling. Hubby said it's a "keeper"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this today. It has been in my "recipes to try" folder since January and I'm so glad I held on to it. This was heaven! I haven't had good ethnic food/takeout in well over a year. This was so stinking good! I mean really! I did omit the jalapeƱos but used between 1/3 to 1/2 tsp of cayenne and will use a little less next time because of the kids. Reed LOVED it. The boys ate it and we talked about how the color came from the same spice they use in the boys favorite cereal. Thank you so much for this post!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails