Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Stuffed Bread


Stuffed Bread is super easy, very versatile and oh so yummy.

Start with my French Bread recipe:

French Bread
2 1/2 C water
2 Tab yeast
1 Tab sugar
1 Tab salt
1 Tab oil
5+ C flour

Proof yeast in water with the sugar. Pour into mixer, add the salt and oil and mix. Add flour, one cup at a time and mix on slow, but until incorporated. Pour out onto a well-floured surface, and knead for about 5 minutes. Sometimes I do it for 10 - do whatever feels right. Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled. Punch down, knead a few times and shape into a loaf.
Bake at 400ยบ for about 20 minutes or golden brown all over. I bake this in a special french bread pan that looks like this. You can also bake it on a cookie sheet, but it doesn't taste nearly as good. Also use parchment paper if you're doing that.
(I know it seems like a splurge of a pan, but it seriously makes a HUGE difference baking french bread, stuffed bread, any any other kind of bread that is similar. I've used mine over and over, and I'm hoping to get a second one for Mother's Day - it's that good. I know you can get knock-off brands else where for about 18 instead of 27.)

For the stuffed bread:
Roll out to the length you want it to be and then roll in the other direction until it's about 1 - 2 inches thick. Spread about a tablespoon or so of oil on the surface so it will hold the spices in place. Sprinkle spices, then cheese, then meats and/or vegetables. Fold the points from the long ends in a little and then roll up to make a loaf, then bake in the pan as normal.

For spices:
My mother uses Italian spice, or basically a combination of basil, oregano, salt, and maybe a little garlic powder.
I prefer to use salt, garlic powder, a little onion powder, and a smidge of red pepper.
All of this is to taste or your preference...I'm a little scared to start adding amounts onto spices.

For cheese:
White cheeses are the best here, and Mozzarella is always the winner. I grate mine and then sprinkle what looks right as evenly as possible.

Meats/Veggies:
Again, you can have creative license here. I like lunch meat like ham and turkey, but you could even put pepperoni or salami if you're into that. I LOVE to add tomatoes - they are incredible in this bread, but green peppers can be good too.

For this particular picture I used my spice mix with mozzarella cheese, a few slices of lunch meat (turkey).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails