Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Morrocan Spaghetti

This surprised me. It is quite the tasty dish. I was unsure about the spices while making it, but the combination is wonderful and it smells absolutely fantastic, I tell you what.

This recipe came from a library vegetarian cookbook: the accidental vegetarian by Simon Rimmer.

10 oz dried spaghetti
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
8 tomatoes, finely chopped (yes, EIGHT.)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
pinch of tumeric
1 cup toasted, slivered almonds (I used sliced, and I think it would be better with the slivered.)
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed if canned
bunch of fresh parsley and cilantro leaves, finely chopped (I HATE HATE parsley. So I left it out. It was still good. But if you like parsley, then yay!)
handful of freshly chopped mint leaves (I also left this out.)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pretty simple procedure:

1. Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft.
3. Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, cumin, and tumeric and cook over a medium heat for about 20 minutes until the tomatoes break down.
4. Season the sauce and then add the almonds and chickpeas.
5. Drain the pasta and divide between four plates. Fold the herbs into the sauce and mix it with the pasta.



*To save time and spare a screaming child pulling at you while trying to HURRY and make a dang meal, you could ask your husband to chop up all those tomatoes for you the night before! :)

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I want to try this and then I will give my review but I already know that the best part of this posting was the "I tell you what." It is like you are from Texas ;) I hope when you were typing it you remembered to add a little drawl to the "tell"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails